Sunday, July 29, 2007

Microsofts Genuine Advantage

A lot of managers are afraid to use Open Source Software, because it doesn't come with any support. Of course that isn't true. It is a classical piece of FUD. And then again, how much is support worth?

I've been able to introduce several pieces of Open Source Software to the company I work for and we haven't needed any support so far. It just works. And if you want to, there are plenty of big companies that do offer support, like Red Hat, Novell and IBM.

On the other hand, I've had many experiences with 'professional' support in a professional environment and they weren't always very good. More and more MCSE's, less and less resolution.

But that is B2B support. An Innocent Consumer may get considerably less latitude as is illustrated by this (fictional, but inspired on real events) day at Microsoft Support:

MS:Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
IC:I have a problem. My computer has halted with a message.
MS:What's the message, sir.
IC:ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft Windows is Not Present
MS:May I have your product key, sir.
IC:[gives completely valid product key]
MS:I'm sorry, sir. That is not a valid product key.
IC:But I bought it at Amazon! And it was shipped with Federal Express.
MS:I'm sorry, sir. It is a counterfeit copy.
IC:I don't understand..
MS:I'm sorry, sir.
IC:Is there anything you can do for me?
MS:You could contact Amazon, sir. Or..
IC:Or what?
MS:You could send us the CD's, sir.
We will verify authenticity for you.
IC:That would be great! When will I have them back?
MS:We just verify authenticity, sir. We won't return them.
IC:Even if it is a genuine copy?
MS:Even if it a genuine copy, sir.
IC:Oh..
MS:I'm sorry, sir. Have a nice day. [click]

MS:Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir.
Can I help you.
IC:Windows displays some strange message on my screen.
MS:What's the message, sir.
IC:ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft Windows is Not Present
MS:May I have your product key, sir.
IC:[gives completely valid product key]
MS:Ok, sir. Can you please reboot your PC?
IC:Will that solve the problem?
MS:Please reboot your PC, sir.
IC:Ok, ok, wait a minute.
MS:Please call us again if you eXPerience any more problems. Have a nice day, sir. [click]

MS:Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
IC:Hi, it's me again. I still got the same error.
MS:What's the error, sir.
IC:ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft Windows is Not Present
MS:May I have your product key, sir.
IC:[gives completely valid product key]
MS:I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall Windows, sir.
IC:Really? That takes forever. Is there any other way?
MS:No, sir. I'm afraid not. Have a nice day. [click]

MS:Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
IC:I reinstalled Windows and I still got the same message box!!
MS:What does the box say, sir.
IC:ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft Windows is Not Present
MS:May I have your product key, sir.
IC:[gives completely valid product key]
MS:That will be fixed in the next release, sir.
IC:The next release? When will that be?
MS:Vista will be released January 2007, sir.
IC:Can I get an update?
MS:No sir, not for a OEM version.
IC:And how much will it cost me to get this new release?
MS:$199 for Windows Vista Home Basic, sir. Do you want to pay with Visa, Mastercard, Diners, etc.
IC:I can order right now?
MS:No sir, we have to charge you $350 for this call.
IC:I don't get any free support?
MS:No sir, not after sixty days and only if it concerns a bug in our software.
IC:This isn't a bug?
MS:No sir, it's a critical security update issue.
IC:[murmurs a credit card number]
MS:Thank you sir, for calling Microsoft support. Have a nice day! [click]

No comments: